MDPC-X Heat-Shrink Tubing
MDPC-X Heat-Shrink Tubing: Legendary quality.
MDPC-X heat-shrink tubing is renowned as the world’s best in terms of overall quality and properties. You can see independent confirmations all over the internet since 2007, when we started bringing MDPC-X heat-shrink tubing and cable sleeving to the public.
No compromise is the one and only guideline for all MDPC-X products including heat-shrink tubing. We serve to people who share the same philosophy and give them access to this very special class of products for relatively small extra cost compared to Chinese products. Cost saving and profit maximization is the most unimportant part of our business, because it poisons the whole process to just make the best possible product, no matter what.
MDPC-X heat-shrinks: A unique class of its own.
- General rule for MDPC-X heat-shrinks: The higher the shrink ratio, the more versatile and easier to use a heat-shrink is.
- The great starting diameter of our 4:1 SMALL heat-shrink makes it extremely easy to get the shrink over the cable sleeving without any hassle. It also allows you to correct the position of the heat-shrink after the shrinking process has been partially initiated.
- Our heat-shrinks offer the thinnest possible walls in to relation to the corresponding shrink ratio (4:1 and 3.4:1).
- Highest quality base materials plus very thin walls make over-expanding of MDPC-X heat-shrink tubing easily possible, without breaking the material too quickly (With this technique you can raise the original diameter even further).
- MDPC-X offers you a variety of colors in 4:1 shrink ratio. Standard industries 4:1 heat-shrinks are typically only black (a medium to dark grey).
- Our 4:1 heat-shrinks have no hot-glue on the inside, which makes installation clean and optically flawless in design oriented environments.
- Our 4:1 heat-shrink tubing has no double-wall construction, which allows us to have these very thin walls.
- The surface of our heat-shrinks is very smooth and has a beautiful matte appearance, no matter which heat-shrink color you get.
- No printing on the heat-shrink tubing for a clean design.
Technical properties: No compromise in any aspect.
- At ~95°C the heat-shrink will start to shrink.
- 24/7 the heat-shrink tubing can be exposed to temperatures of up to 160°C.
- Without melting or breaking effects, extreme temperatures of 240°C can be applied to the heat-shrinks for a couple of hours.
- Very high melting-point of the heat-shrink itself allows for a controlled melting of cable sleeving underneath the heat-shrink tubing. MDPC-X cable sleeving starts to melt at more than 250°C. (see the quick guide to heat-shrink-less sleeving below this list)
- Copper in combination with our heat-shrink tubing will not result in corrosion effects.
- Water in contact with our heat-shrink tubing is not a problem, because of the low ~0.25% water absorption property.
- 20KV per mm dielectric strength make our heat-shrink tubing a high class protective solution.
- Oils, chemicals or cleaning agents have no structural effect on our heat-shrink tubing.
Heat-shrink tubing in combination with cable sleeving: Traditional and "heat-shrink-less".
You need to apply heat to the heat-shrink with a heat-gun, lighter or similar heat source, which can provide a temperature of at least 95°C on the surface of the heat-shrink. For maximum shrinking and a quicker process you typically use much higher temperatures of about 200-300°C. Do not use a hair-dryer because the temperature is too low.
If you use a lighter, we recommend the following technique:
- Move the heat shrink through the lower part of the flame, sideways into and out of the flame. (above or at the top of the flame could generate soot on the heat-shrink)
- Rotate the heat shrink so it heats up evenly on all sides.
- Have a pause of 5 seconds after you have heated the heat-shrink tubing for 5 seconds. This avoids breaking and burning of the heat-shrinks.
- When the shrinking process is completed, the heat-shrink will reach maximum holding strength when the tubing has cooled down to room temperature. Only a cooled down heat-shrink can hold strong stretching forces of a cable sleeve.
- If you ever need to soften the heat-shrinks later on, apply heat.
Using heat-shrink to melt the cable sleeving underneath:
- To use the so called shrink-less / heat-shrink-less method with cable sleeving, follow the previous steps from 1-2.
- Continue with breaks of only 1-2 seconds. Make sure to constantly (!) roll the heat-shrink and cable sleeving in the flame. This avoids burning or braking of the heat-shrink tubing.
- The very thin walls of our heat-shrinks make it easy to see the melting of the cable sleeving underneath the heat-shrink. Once the visible bump in the heat-shrink surface (which comes from the cutting-edge of the cable sleeve underneath the heat-shrink) fades away, you know that the cable sleeve has been melted.
- Let the heat-shrink cool down and then remove it from the cable sleeving with a scalpel or scissor.
Over-expanding heat-shrink: Raising the original diameter.
To raise the original diameter of the heat-shrink tubing to an even higher diameter, do the following:
- Insert the tips of a straight long nosed plier into the heat-shrink.
- Open the tips of the plier / move them away from each other. This will stretch / over-expand the heat-shrink from the inside.
- Rotate the heat-shrink tubing to distribute the stretch over different parts of the surface. This will avoid braking of the heat-shrink during the shrinking process.
- While applying heat, be more careful then usually. Shorten the time of heat application and extend the time of your breaks.
SMALL 4:1 heat-shrink: Size properties.
- The inner diameter is 7.0 mm before shrinking (can be overexpanded to more)
- After maximum shrinking, the inner diameter is 1.75 mm
- Shrink ratio of 4 to 1
See all our MDPC-X SMALL 4:1 heat-shrink tubing colors
MEDIUM 3.4:1 heat-shrink: Size properties.
- The inner diameter is 13.0 mm before shrinking (can be overexpanded to more)
- After maximum shrinking, the inner diameter is 3.8 mm
- Shrink ratio of 3.4 to 1
See all our MDPC-X MEDIUM 3.4:1 heat-shrink tubing colors